Want to stay in touch? Become a 'Golden Ticket Member' (for FREE) for exclusive discounts + sales + freebies + news. Yes, please!

Sunday 11 March 2012

Weekend wonders - The lure of handmade

What a blissful weekend! It is a holiday weekend where I live and I have enjoyed a little bit of extra time.

Mr T and I met up with family in Port Fairy yesterday as there was a festival happening there and we decided to go for a bit of a look. There were HEAPS of people there. There were also market stalls throughout the town. I must admit that I was a little disappointed that there were not a lot of handmade product stalls, rather there were more commercial/import items. However it was promoted as a festival rather than a market. It was still a wonderful day - beautiful sunshine and catching up with wonderful family members.

I also visited a market in my own hometown today, that is held every month. Despite the cold start to the day, there were still quite a few people around. There were some new stalls today and I ended up buying quite a few handmade goodies today.

 One of the items that I bought at the market. I can't acknowledge who made it as I wasn't given any information when I purchased it. I apologise that I can't acknowledge it's creator.

I couldn't help but see the contrast between the different stalls at the two different places I visited. I loved spending time looking at all the handmade goodies, amazed at the care in the crafting of the item. They were all unique. At the festival, I saw many stalls that had very similar items, however at the market, there was a lot of variety. Yes, there were stalls that had essentially the same item (eg. hairclips), but the variety was amazing. Some had fabric flowers, some had crocheted flowers, some had buttons, etc. I think because of the uniqueness of handmade items, people value them as gifts and the items that I purchased today will indeed become very special gifts.

I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for viewing my blog! Please leave a comment...I would love to hear from you. I read and respond to comments made. Thanks again!